[SunHELP] NetApps stuff

Magnus Abrante sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 4 02:17:13 CST 2000

> Very good product. And if you decide to run some Sun servers accessing the data on
> the NetApp is transparent.  It serves up both CIFC and NFS.  In other words, you
> can access the same file from unix and Windoz with out problem.  We did this
> at my last job.  Worked greate.

I had two at my last job, but i got quite annoyed on their filesystem,
it feelt like you either had to run a Unix FS or CIFS, and depending on
what you choosed you would get some trouble with the other one ;)

Second things that annoyed me about them was that we had to take the
backups thru NFS.

I actually did a benchmark on the two NetApps we bougth to my last
job (i think the model was 800 or so), and the speed of them was just
the same as the machines they where replacing (in this case a Ultra 2
with 2x200MHz/1024 and 2 SSA214).

This was like 1.5 year ago, so things has probably changed since.

I've never been quite found of the idea of having a box which
performs filesharing and only filesharing, sometimes the box having
all disks is the best place to certain applications from. But that
might just be me. :)

Then it was yet-another unix to maintain, which of course is nice ;)

	//Magnus Abrante
/* This is just my opinion and not the one of my empolyer */