[SunHELP] Filtering with Solaris 8 x86

Mike Meredith sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 2 21:17:18 CST 2000

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, you wrote:
> Ok, Ipfilter doesn't cut it for me.. The box crashes every few weeks
> (with various versions).. kernel dumping because of Ip filter.

I'm suprised. I've been running ipfilter on Solaris 7 on a number of
boxes (SPARC) with no problems. What about downgrading to Solaris 7 ?

> Is there any alternative? I basically only need to do very simple
> filtering, like blocking access to bind (aka one big ass root hole)
> to only be accessible to the polling upstream nameservers, and to
> ssh, so only allowed IP's can even hit the port.

I think Solaris 8 comes with a free version of SunScreen (not the full
version, but enough to firewall a host). If you've got an old version
of BIND, upgrade it.