[Sunhelp] Confused about routing.

Rob Staab rstaab at actbig.com
Thu Aug 24 13:44:16 CDT 2000

> I'm somewhat confused about the way that routing is handled on my Sol8
> system.  This box acts as a home firewall, with an le0 interface on the
> public side, and an hme0 interface on the private network side.  Default
> gateway is the .254 address of the ISP upstream.  NAT is being
> performed by
> IPF.

You must of course have routing enabled to be able to route packets. This
has nothing to do with running a routing daemon such as gated or routed.

Checking your currently routing table is as easy as netstat -rn.

This lists your current routes and does not attempt to resolve names which
speeds things up considerable for a large table.

You do not need to run a routing daemon if you are only using static routes
and I would advise against running RIP for such a simple network as there is
no real benefit and you open yourself to some security issues since RIP is
very easy to poison/spoof.

Your routing table should have a route for the network directly connected to
both hme0 and le0. It should then have a default route to your ISP's router.
That should be sufficient.

Assuming that you do not have a routing daemon running, you can dynamically
update and modify your routing table using hte route commands. most common
commands are "route add <destination network> <gateway> <metric>" and "route
delete <destination network> <gateway> <metric>"

Hope this helps.

- Rob Staab