[Sunhelp] ultra 30 vs. ultra 10

Magnus Abrante magnus.abrante at sweden.sun.com
Wed Aug 23 11:22:13 CDT 2000

Quite much actually, the U30 was the first of the machines in the
"Darwin" series, and i think its EOL now, replaced by the U60
machine.

Basicly, the U30 uses the same CPU as the UE250, UE450, U60 etc.

The main difference between the CPU used in the U10 and the CPU in the U30
is the fact that the UltraSPARC IIi CPU used in U5/U10 deals with PCI and
such internaly, whereas the UltraSPARC II CPU used in the other machines
deals with this in a special chip. Then there are probably more differences
as well, but i cant really remember them right now ;).

Appart from the CPU the U30 differs from U5/U10 in a number of ways:
* The U30 has a SCSI interface instead of IDE
* There are more memorybanks in the U30
* The U30 has 2 UPA slot and the U10 has 1

Then again i think the U30 should be compared with the U60 and not the
U5/U10.

Regards,

        //Magnus Abrante
/* This is my opinion and not the one of my empolyer */