[Sunhelp] Changing SCSI Drive Vendor information

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Tue Aug 22 15:25:20 CDT 2000

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, steve price wrote:

| I recently bought off ebay a nice fujitsu 9gb drive to
| put in my home SS20.  It was recognized when I
| installed it, so no problem I thought.  It works, but
| when I go into format and inquiry, it shows that it is
| a Unisys drive instead of a Fujitsu.  I checked under
| format -e and the scsi command set to see if I could
| reset the page and bytes, but I must be missing
| something.
|
| Even though it works fine as is, I'd like to relabel
| the Vendor information.

It sounds like the drive you got was part of a Unisys system or RAID
array. It's not uncommon for vendors like Sun, HP, and such to have their
own versions of the drive firmware. In fact, you can get IBM, Seagate, and
Fujitsu drives from Sun and they'll have "SUNWxxxxxx". I've never seen any
performance or operational problems arise from this. If you feel that you
really have a need to change what the drive says it is, then perhaps you
can get firmware for it from Fujutsu.

/dale