[Sunhelp] "wrong magic number"

Simon Pratt simonp at kk.iij4u.or.jp
Tue Aug 15 05:22:28 CDT 2000

Hi I have just inherited a SS10 (with Solaris 2.5.1) with 2x 1.05GB HDDs in.
When replacing drive 1 with a rather nice large IBM Ultrastar 18ES and
booting I get the following error message:
"corrupt label - wrong magic number"

It still boots OK but it doesn't seem to recognise the new HDD...

I have tried changing the SCSI ID a few times (I tried ID# 1, 2 and 6 the
disk I am replacing was ID# 2 and drive 0 is ID#3) but to no avail. It seems
that the label on the HDD is corrupted. Has anyone experienced this before?
any idea what to do? is this an incompatibility problem with this HDD?

Thanks

Simon Pratt
simonp at kk.iij4u.or.jp