[Sunhelp] root login problem

Marc Sebastian Pelzer marc at cube.sh
Fri Aug 11 17:26:17 CDT 2000

Hello Vinay,

Saturday, August 12, 2000, 12:14:31 AM, you wrote:

VB> I have always wondered this. What's the difference between /sbin/sh and
VB> /bin/sh ?  Also why is root's shell set to /sbin/sh ?  Why not use bash
VB> like Linux.

/sbin/sh is the default shell for root, because /bin is only a symlink
to /usr/bin which may be on another partition that is not available
when root boot the system in single user mode. /sbin is always there.
A bash is not a good idea, because it is mostly dynamicly linked.
/sbin/sh is static linked and has no problems with librarys when /usr
is not available.

--
Best regards,
 Marc                            mailto:marc at cube.sh