[Sunhelp] external disk partitions

Eduardo Trettel trettel at dt.fee.unicamp.br
Wed Aug 9 16:27:34 CDT 2000

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Habib M. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running ssol. 2.6.Internal harddisk (/,/usr, swap) as its filesystems
> is  really small like 500MB and I found and am adding a big external
> harddrive. I partitioned and all the labels came up as "unassigned" with
> patitions 2,6,7 have spaces. I like to assign these partitions to "usr" and
> "opt" and "swap". How do i do that?.
>
> Habib

Hi Habib:
	The tags you see associated with partitions, like 'unassigned',
'usr', etc, have low importance. They dont affect where ou how you mount
those partitions. This is defined exclusively by /etc/vfstab. If you wish
to change the tags anyway, let's say, for ease of documentation, it can be
done with 'format'.
	I'm not sure I have understood you comment about partitions 2,6,7,
but, as a rule of thumb, never mess up with partition 2, which maps the
entire disk.

	Regards
	Trettel

E. Trettel <trettel at dt.fee.unicamp.br>