[Sunhelp] booting ss10 from external CD-ROM

Nicholas Dronen ndronen at frii.com
Mon Aug 7 21:06:07 CDT 2000

Hi,

I have an SS10 here that came with Solaris 2.5.1 installed
(iirc) but I don't know the root password.  Since I'd like
to use Solaris 8 anyway (it has ample RAM for it), I'm
trying to install instead of trying to get the root password
back.  It has OBP version 2.25.

When I boot cdrom I get the following output:

Boot device: /iommus/sbus/espdma at f,40000/esp at f,800000/sd at 6,0:d
Illegal instruction
ok

probe-scsi-all shows

Target 6
  Unit 0	Removable Read Only device    IBM   CD-ROM DRIVE:XM
024201/24/92

I've heard there can be problems booting Sun machines from
non-Sun CD-ROM drives because it only understands block sizes
of 2048 bytes, but I swear I've installed both Solaris 7 and
Sparc Linux on my Sparc Classic using this drive.

Anyone have any ideas about this?  Did I get bad media?

Regards,

Nick Dronen