[Sunhelp] Mounting up .ISO images as filesystems?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Aug 6 00:35:01 CDT 2000

On Sat, Aug 05, 2000 at 10:42:07PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> I've got an .ISO (iso9660 format) CD-ROM image file, but currently no
> burner to burn it to - anybody know of a way under Solaris to mount
> this puppy up on a readable filesystem so I can copy the files off
> of it?
> Bill

Its not possible to loopback-mount an ISO9660 file as a read-only
filesystem on Solaris yet (that I know of), but I was able to get
what I needed by using the "isoinfo" command (part of the cdrecord/
mkisofs package, ):

isoinfo: Usage: isoinfo [options]
        -h              Print this help
        -d              Print information from the primary volume descriptor
        -f              Generate output similar to 'find .  -print'
        -J              Print information from from Joliet extensions
        -l              Generate output similar to 'ls -lR'
        -p              Print Path Table
        -R              Print information from from Rock Ridge extensions
        -N sector       Sector number where ISO image should start on CD
        -T sector       Sector number where actual session starts on CD
        -i filename     Filename to read ISO-9660 image from
        -x pathname     Extract specified file to stdout

basically you use the isoinfo command to make a list of the files in
the image, then you write a shell script to go through that list one
by one and extract each file to stdout (of course, redirect stdout to
the same filename in the local directory or wherever).

Works like a charm.  I then copied the directory and files over tot
/opt/SUNWspci/, where my SunPCI coprocessor can see them on its
F: drive. 8-)

Bill

--
| Bill Bradford      |  www.sunhelp.org |