[Sunhelp] at job problems

steve price sdp6513050 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 15:52:16 CDT 2000

at , while running in its own shell, still competes
with other processes for system resources.

therefore its time accuracy is never exact.  several
minutes or longer depending on the number of jobs,
available memory etc are the norm.

the man page (solaris) for at states:

Regardless of queue used, cron has a limit of 100
jobs in execution at any time.

There can be delays in cron at job execution. In some
cases, these delays can compound to the point that
cron job processing appears to be hung. All jobs will
be executed eventually.  When the delays are
excessive, the only workaround is to kill and restart
cron.

My linux man page goes further and says:

At and batch as presently implemented are not suitable
when users are competing for resources.  If this is
the case at your site, you might want to consider
another batch system, such as nqs.

//regards