[Sunhelp] Questions on IP address changes and NIS

McCrone Paul J GS-12 HQ AFWA/XOGM Paul.McCrone at afwa.af.mil
Tue Apr 25 13:25:54 CDT 2000

Hello,

I got a question here on IP address changes and NIS:

My network administrator is telling me to change all IP addresses on all my
systems in order to support a major network upgrade (just makes your teeth
rattle, just thinking about it, huh?).  We don't run DHCP.

I know that this is done through the "sys-unconfig" command on Sun's. I will
have to do this for my systems.

However, I'm running NIS, and I suspect that I need to completely re-set up
NIS as a result of the sys-unconfig on my NIS Master server.  Is this true?
Or -  can I somehow change IP addresses on my NIS master AND not loose the
current NIS setup?

I can set up NIS again if I have to - brute force always works, but I'm
hoping to minmize the downtime- any comments/ideas?  I can use some help.

Also, is there anyone out there who knows Dec Alpha Digital Unix?  I am the
posessor of three such systems that I have to keep running (can't quite make
the switch to all Sun yet). Does anyone know the Digital Unix equivalent of
"sys-unconfig"?
Or...do I just alter the "/etc/hosts" file (can't be THAT simple, can it)? I
know you can't really do that with Sun's.

Thanks!

Regards,
Paul  J. McCrone, GS-12, Chief Forecaster
HQ Air Force Weather Agency (AFWA) Office Code: XOGM
Email: Paul.McCrone at afwa.af.mil
Phone: (402) 294-2821