[Sunhelp] ethernet question

Wayne Schmieder wschmied at CellNet.com
Mon Apr 24 11:16:00 CDT 2000

You still have that problem of no physical connection.   You can most
likely get around this with a loopback connector or just connect it to a
hub.   The MAC controller has an internal loopback capability;  I believe
this is only accessible when running something like POST diagnostics.  The
MAC controller may be intelligent enough to loop itself back when the
destination MAC is the same as its own, but I doubt it.
-----Original Message-----
From:	Bill Bradford [SMTP:mrbill at mrbill.net]
Sent:	Saturday, April 22, 2000 7:08 PM
To:	sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Subject:	Re: [Sunhelp] ethernet question

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 05:08:33PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> If you're running Linux, the feature that you're looking for is called
"ip
> aliasing", and allows you to assign multiple IPs to a single physical
> interface.  They are implemented as multiple "virtual" interfaces.  I'm
sure
> Solaris has something similar, but I don't know what it's called.  If you
> want more info on the Linux stuff, ask, I'm sure somebody will chime in
with
> the Solaris info.
> 	Greg

Easy to do on Solaris too.

Normally, you'd have interface hme0.

Configured like this:

ifconfig plumb hme0 (normally not needed)
ifconfig hme0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
ifconfig hme0 up
route add default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (for default route)

If you want to add a secondary IP address:

ifconfig plumb hme0:1  (notice the :1)
ifconfig hme0:1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
ifconfig hme0:1 up
route add <whatever>

To add more aliases, just do a :2, :3, etc.

To make aliases active at boot, create the appropriate
/etc/hostname.hme0:x files, along with IP addresses/hostnames in
/etc/hosts, then you can do "ifconfig hme0:x up" in
/etc/rc2.d/S99local (or wherever you want).

At least, this is how I do it - I had my Ultra 5 successfully
"multihomed" with only one physical ethernet interface when I had
two DSL lines coming into the house here...

You can do this with ANY Sun and ethernet interface as long as you're
running a recent version of Solaris, as well - works with le0, hme0,
be0, etc.

Bill

--
|   Bill Bradford    |   Austin, Texas   |
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org