[Sunhelp] Do SM100 cards work in a Sparc10?

Dave Garten dgarten at nova.org
Sat Apr 22 15:46:54 CDT 2000

John,
    I've got a pair in mine.  CY605 X 4 on Openboot.  "Cypress,CY605" shows
times 4 in response to /etc/prtconf.  /dmesg reports cpu0 thru 3 and
"initialization complete - online" for all four.  My SS10 seems happy.  But
I'm still a bit inexperienced to be able to promise anything...
    As I recall, Solaris 2.5x was the last version to run SM100s.  2.6
complained they weren't supported when I tried to load it.   Figured trying
2.7 wasn't a good bet.
    I'm not very knowledgeable on the details, but I have read that the
PROMs' versions are important and that "early version" SM100s will not MP on
SPARCstations (20s ?).  I cannot confirm or deny.

    ****Somebody with an FEH willing to give us the facts?****

Anyway, mine "feel" faster that the SM71 singleton on my Sparc 20.  But I
don't task them very hard.  80M RAM in 10, 64M RAM in 20.  That could be the
"feel" difference...

Dave
dgarten at nova.org