[Sunhelp] strangeness with Plextor CD-ROM and Netra T1

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzy.com
Wed Apr 19 16:59:01 CDT 2000

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 02:59:58PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

| I've got a Netra T1 here, with a Plextor CD-ROM connected to it
| via a 68-pin-to-Centronics SCSI cable.  The Plextor is in an external
| enclosure, properly terminated.
|
| Whenever the Cd-ROM is attached to the box, it cant see its own HD!
| I do a "probe-scsi-all" and the CD-ROM "answers" for all 16
| SCSI devices (targets 0 through f).

When a scsi device `answers' for all possible SCSI devices this almost
always means that it has the same ID that the controller itself has.

I don't know what ID a Netra T1 has it's controller at, but scsi ID's
0 and 7 have always been the most common.

So I'd suggest changing the Plextor's scsi ID.  And make sure you're
adjusting the correct jumpers, and make sure there aren't other
jumpers that also adjust the scsi ID (many drives have two sets of
scsi ID jumpers, and if one is set for ID 6 and the other set for ID 1
what you'll really see is ID 7 (0110 + 0001 = 0111.))

| CD-ROM is at ID #6.  The HD is at ID 0 (target 0 unit0).
|
| Any suggestions?  Could it be cabling?

Only if you're referring to the cabling where it picks IDs :)

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzy.com