[Sunhelp] defect block

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed Apr 5 01:59:26 CDT 2000

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Ana Yuseepi wrote:

> Warning:Cannot access drive, aborting surface analysis.
>
> what should i do with this? repair? and how do i verify that this sector
> is really damaged? as i can still boot using this hdd.

The absolute first thing you should do is to back up any data that you
might possibly need from this drive.

Then do a verify, this will try to blank out the disk.  If this fails
(possibly because the defect lists are screwed up) then I recommend that
you install sformat from ftp.fokus.gmd.de (you'll need the scg kernel
driver as well).  It can do remarkable low-level SCSI wizardry and if the
disk is fixable it should be able to do it.

Do not continue to use this drive without wiping it clean and analyzing it
first.

-James