[Sunhelp] HW Questions

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Mon Apr 3 11:39:56 CDT 2000

No, definately not.  They are both "sun4m", but the SS10 is using an SM41,
40Mhz, 1MB of SuperCACHE.  The SS5 is using a 70MHz MicroSPARC-II with some
teeny ammount of cache (I don't remember how much right now).  I just found
a nice table of LOTS of benchmarks of sun processors (spec numbers) in a
nice format, but I can't seem to find it right now.  This is from someplace
else, but good enough, I guess.

System            CPU        ClkMHz  Cache      SPECint SPECfp  Info  Source
Name              (NUMx)Type ext/in  Ext+I/D      92      92    Date
Obtained
================= ========== ======= ========== ======= ======= =====
=========
Sun SS10/40       SuprSP     40      20/16        50.2    60.2  Apr93
Sunflash
Sun SS5/70        MicroSP2   70      16/8         57.0    47.3  Mar94
Sunflash

These might be the same ones that James L quotes all the time, but I'm not
sure.  Looks like the SS5 is going to be faster on integer performance, but
quite a bit slower on the floating point side.  Even if they were swappable,
it might not be such a good idea.  I don't know which is going to affect you
more, but you could always sell the SS5 and get another proc for the SS10,
or sell both and get an Ultra 1.
	Greg