[Sunhelp] NIS weirdness with root...

Steel, Nick - TPNWS NSteel at sempra.com
Tue Sep 14 16:35:25 CDT 1999

------_=_NextPart_001_01BEFEF8.F01F3878

On an NIS client, root has been defined as an NIS based user using
+root::0:0::: in the passwd file and a local user called lroot has been
defined in the passwd and shadow files with uid of 0.

The strange thing going on is that if I telnet or rlogin to the NIS client,
I can login using root and lroot using their respective password, but if I
login locally via CDE or via an XDMCP client (Exceed), I can't login as
'root' I can only login as 'lroot'.

Anyone have a clue why this is occuring?

TIA

- Nick

------_=_NextPart_001_01BEFEF8.F01F3878

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>NIS weirdness with root...</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>On an NIS client, root has been defined as an NIS =
based user using +root::0:0::: in the passwd file and a local user =
called lroot has been defined in the passwd and shadow files with uid =
of 0. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The strange thing going on is that if I telnet or =
rlogin to the NIS client, I can login using root and lroot using their =
respective password, but if I login locally via CDE or via an XDMCP =
client (Exceed), I can't login as 'root' I can only login as 'lroot'. =
</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Anyone have a clue why this is occuring?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>TIA</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>- Nick</FONT>