[Sunhelp] Misc. questions about sendmail vs Solaris 7 (Intel)

Mike Meredith at home hmv at port.ac.uk
Tue Sep 14 03:57:28 CDT 1999

Hi

Jean-Marc Beaudoin wrote:
> I want to implement virtual mail hosting.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1)      How can I verify which version of sendmail I am running?

The easiest way is to telnet to the local smtp port :-

	telnet localhost smtp
	Trying 127.0.0.1...
	Connected to localhost.
	Escape character is '^]'.
	220 port.ac.uk ESMTP Exim 3.02 #1 Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:52:59 +0100

except in your case, it will come up with a different announcement,
which will include the Sendmail version.

> 2)      Can I do virtual mail hosting with the version that
>         comes with Solaris?

Probably, but I would *strongly* recommend getting the source code from
www.sendmail.org, and compiling from scratch.  You'll learn a lot more
about Sendmail that way --- and you will need to.

> 3)      The aliases files do not allow me to make foreign aliases
>         (ie: abc at defg.com abc at hijklm.com). How come?

The alias file doesn't distinguish between the different names for a
machine --- i.e. 'fred at name1.net' and 'fred at name2.net' are just fred.
You need to look at the virtual user support.

> 4)      Any suggestions are welcome

You may want to consider some of the alternatives to Sendmail, which are
rumoured to be easier to configure, and perform better.