[Sunhelp] Problems with Sun3 and Ethernet network

Keith Campbell keith.d.campbell at att.net
Tue Sep 7 12:24:12 CDT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Matthews <tim at uhe1.demon.co.uk>
To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org <sunhelp at sunhelp.org>
Date: Tuesday, September 07, 1999 11:48 AM
Subject: [Sunhelp] Problems with Sun3 and Ethernet network

>Gday. I have recently acquired a Sun3/60 and am trying to get it to talk
>to my home network.
>
>Setup:
>
> <deleted>

I had similar trouble with a dumb hub once.  When I originally hooked up a
new (to the network) system and booted it, it had a different IP address
configured.  I went in and changed the IP address, and rebooted the system,
but still couldn't talk to the other computers on the hub.  Turns out the
hub, when presented with an IP address from a completely different network,
had set up the port on a different 'partition' and even after I changed the
IP address to match my network, the hub wouldn't allow it to talk to the
other ports.  My solution: cycle the power on the hub.

Happy Happy Joy Joy,
  Keith

--
"Long Live The New Flesh." - Max Renn; Videodrome