[Sunhelp] Re: [SunRescue] Help booting 64bit kernel on an Ultra

j. grubman jg at false.net
Mon Sep 6 23:44:29 CDT 1999

> Sep  5 02:33:12 L1-A NOTICE: 64 bit OS installed, but the 32-bit OS is the defau
> lt
> Sep  5 02:33:12 L1-A    for the processor(s) on this system.
> Sep  5 02:33:12 L1-A    See boot(1M) for more information.
> Sep  5 02:33:12 L1-A

/platform/sun4u/boot.conf:

#pragma ident   "@(#)boot.conf  1.6     98/07/29 SMI"
#
# Copyright 1998 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
# All Rights Reserved.
#
# /platform/sun4u/boot.conf
#
# name/value pairs used to augment boot(1M) policy.
#
# ALLOW_64BIT_KERNEL_ON_UltraSPARC_1_CPU
#
# On systems containing 200MHz or lower UltraSPARC-I processors,
# it is possible for a user to run a 64-bit program designed to exploit a
# problem that could cause the processor to stall.  Since 64-bit programs
# cannot run on the 32-bit kernel, the 32-bit kernel is chosen as the
# default boot file on these systems.
#
# The code sequence that exploits the problem is very unusual and is not
# likely to be generated by a compiler.  Assembler code had to be
# specifically written to demonstrate the problem. It is highly unlikely
# that a legitimate handwritten assembler routine would use this code sequence.
#
# Users willing to assume the risk that a user might accidentally or
# deliberately run a program designed to cause a processor to stall
# may choose to run the 64-bit kernel by uncommenting the following item:
#
#ALLOW_64BIT_KERNEL_ON_UltraSPARC_1_CPU=true

-josh

---
joshua grubman
http://sarcastic.net