[Sunhelp] rdist pros & cons

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzy.com
Fri Sep 3 17:02:07 CDT 1999

On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 11:43:30AM +0530, Ravi Katti wrote:

| I am using rdist for the last one month or so. I have few queries and pls
| pardon me if this is the wrong posting.
|
| I rdist large file systems daily with capacities varying from 9gb to 1gb.
| Is rdist a sound way of mirroring such file systems. Frankly i had no
| problem all these days except that rdist is slower.
|
| What are the pros and cons of rdist?
|
| Also is rdist popular tool to maintain file systems synchronised across
| servers?

I never really used rdist much.  But I've recently discovered rsync
and I love it.

You can get it from http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync.

It basically does the same things that rdist does, but offers more
options and tries to be more efficient about what it actually copies.

| Please reply in detail as i need to convince my boss of this.

There is a page of examples on that site - it may have some of the
details that you need.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzy.com