[Sunhelp] Feedback desired Solaris 2.5.1 upgrade to 2.6

morgan .g morgang at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 2 23:03:06 CDT 1999

Hi,

Yes, Jones is right about the /usr partition, because 2.6 needs atleast
500mb for /usr (on the safe side) I would recommend around 800mb.

On a more serious issue, Disksuite has been known to cause alot of problems
for upgrades and backups. There are alot of bugs out there regarding
disksuite and upgrades...(sorry, I don't have details.
If you want ot play it safe, take the disks out of sisksuite conttrol before
upgrading, then, you can safely put them back in disksuite control. It all
depends on how you have used disksuite, if it is just a stripe/concat, then
there shouldn't be much of a problem!

If you are running Veritas/Volume manager...it's een a bigger headache, even
if the disks are not in veritas control, the system won't boot up after the
installation...there are about 10 over steps to be performed after this
happens!!! beware if you have SUNWvxvm installed!

Apart from all this, there are no issues in the upgrade, it should take you
around 1-1.5hrs for the upgrade and about 30mins to install the suggested
2.6 patches!

cheers,

Morgan.G

Systems Engineer