[Sunhelp] Need NeWSprinter20 Help.

Gilbert Groehn ultramedco at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 31 12:10:03 CST 1999

I have a SparcStation20 that is set up with a
NewsPrinter20 as the default (and only) printer.

This system (box and printer) came from another site
and it was all working fine before moving.

Now,  I cannot get the printer online for some reason.

The /etc/printcap   file appears to be correctly set and is
as follows:

lp:\
    :lp=/dev/spd0:sd=/var/spool/NeWSprinter20:\

more stuff

lpstat -d shows the default printer is:  /dev/spd0

lp puts items to be printed into the que OK but the printer will
not start.  lpq gives the message " waiting for lp to become ready"
(offline?)."

I have tried all of the common commands in lpc to enable the printer but
nothing sofar has worked.

All of the Newsprinter20 software appears to be intact so I suspect that
there may be a permissions problem or that the serial port is not
enabled.   I am logged in as root when these problems occur.

The only difference between my use and the previous location of the
box was that it was previously on a net and now is used as  stand alone
workstation.    Is it possible that this is causing the printer problem?

If there is anyone out there using the Newsprinter20,  I would like to
hear from you.  I am trying to locate some documentation for this item
and none is available from Sun or any other source I have been able to
find.

Is there a self test function on the NewsPrinter20 and , if so, what is the
procedure to activate?

I am a newbie to Solaris so please keep any advice on a beginners level.

I acquired the Sparc20 to start learing Solaris and Unix as an adjunct
to my Linux and Windoze boxes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cordially,
Gil Groehn