[Sunhelp] RE: New Harddrive for SPARCbook 3GX

Wes Hofmann whofmann at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 20 12:39:56 CST 1999

> Yes, the SCSI<->EIDE adapater only uses C/H/S mode which, to
> workaround
> buggy PeeCee BIOS implementations, artificially restricts
> itself to roughly
> 8GB.   Last I heard the company that makes the adapter said they might
> have adapters later this year which use LBA mode which supports larger
> disks.

I apologize for this probably inane question, but it's a concept I just
don't understand.  If the computer sees the correct number of cylinders,
sectors, and heads (correct being the values stated on the hard drive's
label, how could the computer see anything *besides* about 8gb?  A sector is
512 bytes.  There are 16 heads, implying 8 platters with a head on each
side.  A track has 63 sectors.  And there are 16383 cylinders, so 16383
tracks per each side of a platter.

So, its (512 bytes per sector) x (63 sectors per track) x (16 heads per
cylinder) x (16383 cylinders) = 8455200768 bytes = 8257032 kbytes =
8063.5078 mbytes = 7.8745 gbytes.  That looks like about 8gb to me.  Where
on earth do they get 10GB for this disk??