[Sunhelp] KVM switchboxes (was RE: [Sunhelp] Info for my AXi)

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Mon Jun 28 20:32:22 CDT 1999

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Derric L. Tubbs wrote:

> I speak from no experience here but why couldn't you use a Sun switch and
> use all the needed adapter cables to make it work.  According to the
> earlier post on a similar topic there are high quality cables available
> that should introduce minimal distortion.  Just a thought.

...because Sun-specific switches will cost you a mint.  It's the best way
to go, but they are not cheap.  I still have a NuData 8-port Sun KVM
switch I picked up at a swap meet 5 years ago for $50 and would not sell
it for 10x that price.

> On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, McMurry, James A. wrote:
>
> > I have some Suns with the type 5 Sun keyboard and mouse, but SVGA video
> > connectors.  I'd like a 4 to 1 KVM(*) switchbox for them using a bare-bones
> > Sun 17" monitor with a SVGA connector that I already have.  Problem is,
> > since these systems have the proprietary Sun keyboard (and I want to keep
> > all the extended functionality which that entails), a simple PC switch won't
> > do.  Since they have SVGA video, a Sun-specific KVM switch won't do.

The best idea that I can suggest for this is to get 4 Sun keyboard/mouse
interface converters (for roughly $75/ea) to get PS/2 keyboard and mouse
connectors out, and then to use a PC switch.

Yes, you lose that nice Sun keyboard, but you could probably do the whole
thing for $400-450 including a decent switch.

Is there a reason that you need graphic consoles on all of them?  Going
with serial consoles would be far cheaper and easier to manage remotely.

-James