[Sunhelp] current loggeg user

Anthony Barnes tony.barnes at cimlinc.com
Wed Jun 23 13:03:11 CDT 1999

I have noticed this myself from time to time and never really looked into
it.
I know who is going to parse through the information contained in the utmp
file which is under /var/adm.
The file seems to have a very specific format and isn't easy on the eyes.
 There are man pages for utmp that give a pretty good example on how the
file is put together.

I guess something happened to that users session and the logout information
was never updated in the utmp file.  Now when who goes and parses it he
never finds the 'user exited' information.  It must then perform some date
calculation and comes up with the logged in time.

I'm not sure if it would help but if there are no other users on the system
you could backup utmp and then remove it.  Maybe a new one will be
generated when you logout?  If not, restore the backup.

Anthony Barnes
Application Developer
Cimlinc, Inc. (www.cimlinc.com)
630.250.0090 x1500