[Sunhelp] Boot problem on test server

Jarrett m Carver AFcarjm at dia.osis.gov
Mon Jun 21 08:50:28 CDT 1999

Use the solaris cd rom and type  'boot cdrom' at the OK prompt.

Instead of copying the /etc/directory from another machine you could choose
reinstall the OS.
This may be a faster and better solution in the long run, since you would need
to go through all the
config files in /etc and change them to the entries needed for the test server,
as oppposed to the machine
you got the /etc/directory from.

To do this after you boot from the cdrom choose the *upgrade* install option.
When going through your
disk layout rename the original /usr and whatever other partitions (excpet the
/ partition) that you want
to save the data on. Now create a single / partition to load the OS into. this
partition should be as small as
possible. After it loads the OS it should boot up O.K. Now you can go into you
can edit the /etc/vfstab file so that
the original /usr mounts to /usr and any other saved  directories mount to
their proper location. (first make a backup copy of the original vfstab).

Now reboot to test your editied vfstab. If it works umount /usr. Do a df to
*ensure* the /usr directory is umounted. cd to /usr and delete the everything
in /usr, but not the /usr direcotyr itself. This should delete
/usr directory that was loaded during the *upgrade*.  Stop A and reboot again.
This time it should come up,
mounting you original /usr directory, plus you will have freed up some space in
you / partition, by deleting
the uneeded /usr files.

Some programs may still need to be reinstalled if they write files to the /etc
directory, but a lot should be saved by keeping your original /usr directory.

This is my suggestion, perhaps there are better solutions from some those more
saavy in data recovery/restoration??