[Sunhelp] CD-ROM Help

Wendell Melrose wendell_melrose at anadarko.COM
Mon Jun 7 17:01:25 CDT 1999

Date: 07-June-1999
< Bill Hatcher wrote "can't access the cdrom on a SS2">

You didn't say what the SS2  openboot prom revision is... or what  Sun
software you are using... SunOS or Solaris 2.x
"boot -r v"  will boot and reconfigure Solaris 2.x to add software
support for the cdrom.
...you should be able to do a "probe-scsi-all" at the "OK" prompt  and see
if the  cdrom is showing up on the scsi bus.
The target # for the cdrom is usually sd6.  Tape units  are usually  target
4 & 5. The boot disk is usually target 3.  Can you boot the SunOS or Solaris
cd  from the cdrom?   Later versions of the openboot prom allow you to
simply enter  " boot cdrom".   Older versions require you to  "b sd(0,6,2)
return..    to get the "ok" prompt.. type  "n" at the ">" prompt
Other openboot prom commands... printenv   ie.  show
setup parameters..
It doesn't matter which connector the scsi terminator goes on..
Have fun!
wendell_melrose at anadarko.com