[Sunhelp] timezone

Brian D. Kohl bkohl at chemconnect.com
Tue Jun 1 21:39:13 CDT 1999

Hi,
We are building out a system that has lots of timezone issues, so we've
decided to just make the timezone GMT and call it even.  So, to make this
change I used the date command and set the time on the machine 7 hours
forward (I'm in the Pacific US timezone, and w/day light savings, we are
currently 7 hours behind GMT).  I then modified my /etc/default/init to read:

TZ=GMT

instead of the TZ=US/Pacific.

Now, if I do a "date" I get the PDT time 7 hours ahead, but it still reads
PDT.  How can I get the SunOS 5.7 box to read GMT when I type "date"
without having to reboot - or do I have to reboot.  When does the timezone
get called anyway?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Brian D. Kohl