[Sunhelp] Disk quota by group.

Leon Halford - Open Systems Solutions Ltd Leon.Halford at opensolutions.co.uk
Thu Jul 22 12:54:34 CDT 1999

> Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:31:42 -0500
> From: John Kennedy <jkennedy at orent.com>
> Subject: Re: [Sunhelp] Disk quota by group.
>
> We do need the quota.  We just don't need it for users.  We need it for
> departments.

But do you REALLY need quota's... In my experience, a hard limitation just
serves to annoy users! These users have to delete files to free up space when
they're out of quota just the same as they would when a filesystem became full.
If file management is a concern, then a quick "find" command can easily identify
which users are hogging the largest quantities of space. At which point in time
you delete, compress, or archive.

Anyhow... since quotas don't have the group abilities you require by default,
maybe consider the following as an alternative.. It addresses all your
requirements.

Subdivide the common file system (shared by all departments currently) into
seperate filesystems. Each department stores data in seperately administered
areas with different departments having different working areas.. (eg.
/data/department1, /data/department2, ..)
Restrict access by departments based on group ownership & permissions.
The filesystem limit now indirectly imposes your required group quota.

Simple as that.