[Sunhelp] SUN OS 5.6 and Solaris 2.6

Wes Hofmann wes at level3.com
Thu Jul 22 09:18:56 CDT 1999

Hmm, I am quite possibly wrong on this, but I understood that the
transition from SunOS to Solaris went something like this:  There was
origianlly SunOS, a full BSD UNIX operating system for SUN machines.  At
some point, AT&T bought a lot of stock from SUN, thus making them
co-owners.  At that time, AT&T was still developing UNIX System V.  They
were able to coerce SUN into moving from the BSD to the System V
implementation of UNIX.  When this change occurred the name was chaged to
Solaris.  I *belive* (not sure) that the actual solaris kernel is nothing
but an upgraded version of the SunOS kernel.  In fact, the original
BSD-style unix tools are still available on Sun boxes in the /usr/ucb
directory. :)  I could be totally wrong on this, but it's the way I
understood it.

Wes