[Sunhelp] Tekram scsi and Ultra 5

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Wed Jul 7 12:30:12 CDT 1999

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, mike mangino wrote:

> I just bought a tekram DC 390f, which is based on the symbios 3c875
> card. I understand that the symbios chipset is supported under Solaris.
> I am, however, a Solaris Idiot. All I know how to do is use Solaris. Can
> someone either help me get started finding and installing a driver for
> this thing so that I can access the CD drive?

The driver used for this chipset is the "glm" driver.  If you did a
"complete" installation when you loaded the OS then it should be present.

> If I run probe-scsi-all, it finds my drive correctly. It doesn't find it
> after boot though. I have only one scsi-cd drive /dev/sr0 which is
> actually my atapi cd drive. I would appreciate any help. I also would
> love to find a good web site or book that contains this sort of thing so
> I won't have to ask such stupid questions in the future.

Have you tried doing a reconfiguration boot (boot -r)?  This will load new
drivers and build the devices tree when new devices are found.

Either shutdown to the "ok" prompt, or press Stop-A when the machine is
first booting up (and you see the bootup banner at the top of the screen).
Then type "boot -rv".  You will see lots of messages about certain drivers
being unable to attach, this is normal.  Look out for lines like (this
will differ slightly):

PCI-device: scsi at 1, glm0
glm0 is /pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/scsi at 1
sd0 at glm0:
 target 0 lun 0
sd0 is /pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/scsi at 1/sd at 0,0
    <QUANTUM-XP39100J-LYK8 cyl 5847 alt 2 hd 20 sec 152>

After everything boots up, an ls in /dev/dsk should show new entries for
each drive attached (8 entries per drive, one for each partition entry).

Are you connecting a CD writer?  If so, I highly advise you to go with
Joerg Schilling's cdrecord, it's a terrific program.  The only catch is
that the kernel drivers it requires aren't yet supported in 64-bit mode,
so you would either have to run in 32-bit mode or use the uscsi patch to
use native low-level SCSI drivers.

If you're just connecting another CD reader then ignore the previous
paragraph, it should Just Work.

-James