[Sunhelp] Newbie Tips

Bertrand Hutin hb at ardentsoftware.fr
Mon Jul 5 02:17:35 CDT 1999

Michael Radtke wrote:

> Thanks for the help so far.  Here are the specs as best as I can get them
>
>         The machine, which is a square pizza box chassis is labeled on the front
> as a Sparc station 1.  The label on the bottom says it is model 147,
> service code 4/60, part number 600-2461-02.  The date is listed as Jan,
> 5th, 1990.  I opened up the box, and found 2 hard drives, a floppy, a
> processor, and a Weitez chip.   The floppy has a number on it:
> 0005180-8908029520 and another number on it 3701207-01.
>         The HD's don't concern me much at this point (I don't have anything to put
> on them yet!), but the floppy does.  How can I tell if it's a 720k or 1.44
> MB drive?

  Also, all the memory slots are empty.  Is there supposed to be
> some memory installed, or is there memory onboard elsewhere?
None.
 The MB has
> the number 5011382061137 on it, if that helps.
>         As far as the monitor is concerned, it is an HP, model A0288A.  I realize
> that this may not be the ideal listserv to find out about the monitor, but
> I guess it matters for the video card.
>
>         So, given the above, I need to find:
>                 1)  A CHEAP graphics card
Sun's Sparc 1 needs a Sbus graphic card. I have here a very old SS1 with
a monochrome card, but probably color graphics cards exists.
These cards are the same in SS2, IPC, IPX.
>                 2)  Info on the type of floppy drive, mostly so I know how to install the
> OS, (it will probably be NetBSD)
1.44Mb
>                 3)  What to do about memory
Memory slots need 30 pin simms, 1Mb or 4Mb.

Bertrand Hutin, Responsable Informatique Interne / MIS
Ardent Software Inc - Object Division 7 rue du parc de Clagny, 78000
Versailles France
Phone: (33) 1 30 84 77 77 Fax: (33) 1 30 84 77 90
www.ardentsoftware.fr	in Europe www.ardentsoftware.com in other
countries