[Sunhelp] Newbie Tips

Michael Radtke mradtke at nwu.edu
Fri Jul 2 22:54:23 CDT 1999

Thanks for the help so far.  Here are the specs as best as I can get them

	The machine, which is a square pizza box chassis is labeled on the front
as a Sparc station 1.  The label on the bottom says it is model 147,
service code 4/60, part number 600-2461-02.  The date is listed as Jan,
5th, 1990.  I opened up the box, and found 2 hard drives, a floppy, a
processor, and a Weitez chip.   The floppy has a number on it:
0005180-8908029520 and another number on it 3701207-01.
	The HD's don't concern me much at this point (I don't have anything to put
on them yet!), but the floppy does.  How can I tell if it's a 720k or 1.44
MB drive?  Also, all the memory slots are empty.  Is there supposed to be
some memory installed, or is there memory onboard elsewhere?  The MB has
the number 5011382061137 on it, if that helps.
	As far as the monitor is concerned, it is an HP, model A0288A.  I realize
that this may not be the ideal listserv to find out about the monitor, but
I guess it matters for the video card.

	So, given the above, I need to find:
		1)  A CHEAP graphics card
		2)  Info on the type of floppy drive, mostly so I know how to install the
OS, (it will probably be NetBSD)
		3)  What to do about memory

To any who can help me out, my hearty thanks.

Michael Radtke
mradtke at nwu.edu