[Sunhelp] Installing over the network?

Wayne Schmieder wschmied at CellNet.com
Sat Dec 25 19:39:54 CST 1999

You are not connected to the LAN for one reason or another.  Do a STOP "A",
at the ok prompt do a prnt-diag?.  This will give you the system
configuration.  One likely candidate is the diag-switch?t is set to true.
 If this is this case set it to false.  Make sure you have the right
adapter connected to the LAN.  Many machines will have multiple adapters,
especially those that have had an upgrade to fast Ethernet. If all else
fails run the network diags while your in the PROM Monitor.  If you have
the time, do a power up while holding STOP "D".  Once the diags start you
can release the keys.  This will run all kinds of good tests for you, and
will actually catch >90% of you hardware errors.  Remember when your done
to set the diag -switch? back to false.

  The more you know about the hardware the better these days.  Sun or none
of the many third parties have the hardware expertise in the field as they
did in years past.  A little effort can save you big time on time and
money.

Wayne schmieder
Cellnet Data Systems