[Sunhelp] Installing

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 26 05:10:05 CST 1999

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 10:12:06 GMT, morgan .g wrote:

>Hi Paul,
>
>What is the exact error that you are receiving during boot net?
>Where does it fail?
>
>Check these parameters on the boot-server:
>
>1. Check the /etc/ethers file to make sure you have a ethers entry for the
>SS2.

No ethers file.  I've never heard of this file before - what is the syntax of entries,
and what is the file's purpose?

>2. Check the /etc/hosts file for a hostname entry.

I already added that for the new system, and most of the rest of my network is already in there.

>3. Check the share parameters in /etc/dfs/dfstab and make sure you have
>either shared out the cdrom or the boot image directory.

Okay, did that.

>4. Check the /tftpboot directory to see if these is an entry for the new
>SS2(normally it will look like, rm 1.2.3.4 (SS2 ip address)!

I don't have this directory - how do I create it automatically, or do I set it up manually?