[Sunhelp] Boot password

morgan .g morgang at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 26 04:00:10 CST 1999

Hi Jim,

Are you having problems getting into OK boot prom?

If that is the case, then the 'security-mode' parameter in the boot prom is
set to password. This is actually a problem if you don't have the passwd for
it! Anyway, here are a few options that I can show you:

a. If you can boot the system up with the 'old OS intact and you know the
passwd for OS then go to option 1.

b. If you have another SS5 in your Company, go to option 2

c. If you have support from SUN(maintenance), go to option 3.

d. If you know the administrator who gave you this system, go to option 4.

------
1.
If you can boot the system up to the old OS level "knowing" the passwd, then
it's a good sign. Log into the system and change the eeprom setting for:
# eeprom security-mode?=none (check the actual syntax please).

OR

2.
If you have another similar system(SS5)
transfer the hardware boot prom into that system, (or transfer the boot disk
over- easier way!), Let the system come up
(just power-on the system and let it boot, but your system eeprom parameter
must be set to auto-boot?true, or else you have another problem! hehehe)

OR

3.If you have the means and support from SUN, then change a new prompt
firmware itself!

OR

4.
Lastly, contact the orginal owner of the system and get the passwd for 'ok
prompt'.

Hope one of these options can help you.

Cheers,

Morgan.G