[Sunhelp] Ethrenet adapters on sparc5

sjf8 at cornell.edu sjf8 at cornell.edu
Wed Dec 22 14:11:57 CST 1999

Hello Experts,

I am looking to put together a firewall for a small internal network.  I was
planning on using a sparc 5-85 to do the trick, and have started looking for
an extra TP ethernet card to act as the external controller.  However, in
the interest of saving money, I looked at the back of my sparc5 and saw
that there are really two ethernet interfaces on the mainboard...one TP and
one AUI, right?  Are these two interfaces connected to two seperate internal
controllers?  I.e. if I buy an AUI to TP tranceiver will I have the setup I
am looking for with two SEPERATE ethernet controllers?  Or will I just have
two sockets to the same internal card?

Thanks again!

Saul