[Sunhelp] E250 and PGX32 video

Steve Hatle shatle at vue.com
Mon Dec 13 20:57:34 CST 1999

We've got two new E250's, both with PGX32 video cards. At boot, the monitor
(Sun "Entry level" monitor) never lights, though the machine boots.
Unplugging the keyboard and attaching a laptop to serial A to watch the boot
shows a "screen not found" message along with the keyboard not found message
(expected).

I have the PGX32 in slot 0, Quad Fast Ethernets in slots 1 and 2, and slot 3
(the 66mhz, 3 volt one) empty. Doc seems to indicate that the PGX32 is a 5V
33Mhz card.

No joy looking at the PGX32 docs, or the E250 hardware docs. Nothing either
in SunSolve.

This is prior to installing Solaris 2.6, for which the PGX32 has a CD of
drivers, but shouldn't it at least function at boot as a text console?

I suppose the resolution could be too high, but the "screen not found"
message bothers me. I haven't tried putting the framebuffer in a different
slot, though I'll probably try that tomorrow unless one of you can tell me
what I'm doing wrong <grin>.

TIA

Steve