[Sunhelp] Filesystem

Terry Brown Terry.Brown at ncl.ac.uk
Mon Dec 13 02:14:24 CST 1999

At 13:44 12/12/99, Giorgio Guagnini wrote:
>Hi at all,
>My name is Giorgio Guagnini from italy,
>i'm a novice in solaris.
>I have a sparcstation 5 85 modified by me at 96 mhz  with solaris 7
>installed in 1 gb hard disk but i have low free space for data and
>programs.
>I want copy my filesystem in  hard disk of 4 gb.
>I have initialized it with FORMAT and after ,in single user,copied the
>filesystem with CP  recursive but not functioning.
>Is there an command as ufsdump or other that permit me to transfert
>filesystem directly between two hard disk of different capacity?
>Thank at all !

You could use tar like so (from the gnu tar man page):

cd fromdir; tar cf - . | (cd todir; tar fxvBp -)

This will copy all files from "fromdir" to "todir" and keep all
permissions, ownerships, file modification dates etc.

Hope this helps,
Terry
Terry Brown					http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
	C&IT Development Officer
	UNIX System Administrator

Faculty of Medicine Computing Centre, University of Newcastle,
NE2 4HH     Tel: +44 191 222 5116	Fax: +44 191 222 5016