[Sunhelp] Mirroring drive and sendmail questions

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Sat Dec 11 16:28:07 CST 1999

There are LOTS of programs out there like GHOST for the PC, but I haven't
seen any for SPARC yet.  Doesn't Solaris have some built in mirroring
software?  I haven't played with it, but I seem to recall that it does, and
if you mirrored to the new drive, you could probably grow the filesystem to
fill the drive when you were done...

> > I actually have several enclosures that I've owned for awhile, the
> > ones I'm using now are a 4 CD-ROM tower, and a 2 drive 5.25" FH box.
> >
> > I've always preferred the main HD internal, but I could
> probably make
> > some sacrifices.
> >
> > Do these new drives really get that hot?
>
> Brand new drives do - especially the fast ones.  Hell, even some older
> ones do :)

It depends on what you get.  If you get a drive that's been recently
manufactured, but not the latest tech, then it won't run so hot.  We just
got a new server with some 9 gig 7200 RPM drives, and when I compare the
temp on those to some 4gig 7200 RPM drive, the newer ones are MUCH cooler.
These drives all came from the same manufacturer, just the newer ones run
much cooler than the old ones.  I just put a 4 gig IBM drive in my ss20, and
it's a LOT cooler than the two 1 gig drives that I had in there before.
	Greg