[Sunhelp] Mirroring drive and sendmail questions

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 11 08:19:48 CST 1999

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:45:14 -0600 (CST), Phil Brutsche wrote:

>A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
>
>> Is it hard to mirror one drive to another?
>
>As a "kludge" tar can do it.

Hmmm...

Any other ways?  Sorta like how PC's have Symantec Ghost?

>It's less a problem of the SCSI controller knowing how to talk to the
>drive (I have a 2GB drive in my IPX), and more about heat (which my IPX
>suffers from).  Consider finding a way to get more cooling to the sparc2,
>or invest in an external SCSI enclosure (which get's expensive real fast,
>especially for a student).

I actually have several enclosures that I've owned for awhile,
the ones I'm using now are a 4 CD-ROM tower, and a 2 drive 5.25" FH
box.

I've always preferred the main HD internal, but I could probably make some sacrifices.

Do these new drives really get that hot?

>> Right now I'm running either a Seagate Barracuda or Hawk (think it's
>> the former), and it's okay, though it's made weird noises in the past,
>> but it would be nice to have more space on it.
>>
>> Also, does anyone know about configuring sendmail?
>
>Haven't a clue.  I like exim (http://www.exim.org) 'cause it's easier to
>configure.  I also use Webmin (http://www.webmin.com/webmin), which is a
>web-based configuration program written in perl.  It works with Solaris
>(reportedly...) and knows how to configure sendmail.
>
>> I have a simple POP3 daemon running on my machine (for school
>> purposes), I can send and recieve to myself through the LAN okay.
>>
>> How would I send to an outside address, and have it bounce/forward to my other ISP's
>> smtp server?
>
>Just configure the SMTP agent normally - it'll handle the rest.

I take it I'd do so with the above programs?