[Sunhelp] Mirroring drive and sendmail questions

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Fri Dec 10 16:45:14 CST 1999

> Is it hard to mirror one drive to another?

As a "kludge" tar can do it.

> In the future, I'm considering upgrading the HD on my SPARC2 (since
> I'm using it more and more as a server) to a larger capacity.

Ok.

> Are there any problems with upgrading to larger than 1GB on this
> machine (something I just thought about now)?

It's less a problem of the SCSI controller knowing how to talk to the
drive (I have a 2GB drive in my IPX), and more about heat (which my IPX
suffers from).  Consider finding a way to get more cooling to the sparc2,
or invest in an external SCSI enclosure (which get's expensive real fast,
especially for a student).

> Right now I'm running either a Seagate Barracuda or Hawk (think it's
> the former), and it's okay, though it's made weird noises in the past,
> but it would be nice to have more space on it.
>
> Also, does anyone know about configuring sendmail?

Haven't a clue.  I like exim (http://www.exim.org) 'cause it's easier to
configure.  I also use Webmin (http://www.webmin.com/webmin), which is a
web-based configuration program written in perl.  It works with Solaris
(reportedly...) and knows how to configure sendmail.

> I have a simple POP3 daemon running on my machine (for school
> purposes), I can send and recieve to myself through the LAN okay.
>
> How would I send to an outside address, and have it bounce/forward to my other ISP's
> smtp server?

Just configure the SMTP agent normally - it'll handle the rest.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein