[Sunhelp] Preventing users from suing to root

Leon Halford - Open Systems Solutions Ltd leon.halford at opensolutions.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 18:17:55 CST 1999

Use the PAM interface in Solaris 2.6+ (man pam or man pam.conf).
There are numerous PAM examples of "wheel" group restrictions to "su"
floating around the internet (from memory I believe there's one mentioned in
the Solaris 2.x FAQ).
Compile the example source and install in /usr/lib/security.

The PAM solution is a bulletproof policy restriction (much better than
removing pemissions for world from the su binary)

If you cant find an example, I'll dig up the source (or binary) and mail it
to you.

Leon Halford