[Sunhelp] Relative merits, 2.5.1 v. 2.6 v. 2.7

Jason Meggs jason at ucdata.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Dec 3 13:21:07 CST 1999

Hi,

What are the relative merits of the three main
Solaris versions in use today?

    2.5.1 versus 2.6 versus 2.7

Right now I've got three servers still running
2.5.1 and one running 2.7.  I've poured buckets
of patches onto the 2.5.1 machines, especially
recently with all the Y2K patches.  In addition,
I've just had the first experience of trying to
install software that would only work on 2.6 and
later.  Meanwhile much of our system software
is only written for Solaris through 2.6.  The 2.7
machine has been difficult to set up starting
with the fact that GNU gcc would not compile.

Superficially, it would appear that 2.5.1 may
be too old and 2.7 may be too new.  Is there
any hard data on the relative merits?  Would
I be better off with all machines at 2.6 and
how much trouble would that likely be?

Jason N. Meggs
Programmer/Analyst

UC DATA