[Sunhelp] second network interface

Wayne W. Adams wayne.w.adams at boeing.com
Fri Aug 27 11:55:08 CDT 1999

"Tubbs, Derric L" wrote:

> I have a second network interface (with my SCSI interface) that is not being
> used at the moment and I'd like to enable it for a private network in a
> small office for X.  The other net is for file sharing and the web server.
> What do I need to do to enable this second interface?  The one being used
> right now is hme0.  Thanks for any help.

Derric, assuming you're running Solaris 2.x:

1. Check to see if the system recognizes your 2nd nic:
   # ifconfig -a plumb
   # ifconfig -a
   You should see your 2nd interface, e.g. le1, or hme1, or qfe1,,,
   after your primary interface.
   If you don't, check the hardware and do a boot -r.

2. Assumming the system can see your 2nd interface, e.g. hme1:
   # vi /etc/hostname.hme1
        <add your hostname>
3. # vi /etc/inet/hosts
        <add ip address and hostname for hme1 interface>
4. # vi /etc/inet/netmasks
        < add/assign approprate subnet & netmask strings>
6. Shutdown and reboot the machine

To enable the 2nd interface hme1 manually instead of rebooting:

1. # ifconfig hme1 unplumb
2. # ifconfig hme1 plumb
3. # ifconfig hme1 inet <ip-addr> -trailers netmask \
        <netmask> broadcast + up

--
Wayne W. Adams
wwa at bcstec.ca.boeing.com  Boeing SSG, Technical Services