[Sunhelp] Re: ?: video memory capacity on SunPCi

Tom Karpowitz - Jedi Knight Tom.Karpowitz at east.sun.com
Mon Aug 23 09:51:32 CDT 1999

> Anyone who knows the default video memory capacity on SunPCi?
> I heard that the DRAMs of SunPCi can be mapped into video memory on SunPCi
> with
> 0.5MB~4MB. Really?

Really!  :)

What we're discussing, of course, is the video memory for the external VGA
display ONLY.  The characteristics of the X video display (max resolution,
max bit depth) are determined by the current settings of the X server.  (In
other words, if you have a Creator 3D which supports 24-bit color but your
desktop is configured to use 8-bit color, SunPCi will be limited to 8-bit
color depths only.)

The externakl VGA display controller uses UMA to "steal" SunPCi main memory
for its framebuffer; the amount that is "stolen" is variable between
0.5-4MB.  You can change this setting by tweaking a value in the SunPCi
BIOS.

tkarp

Tom Karpowitz                     You carefully open the chest... You see here:
Member of Technical Staff               a blessed wand of debugging
Headquarters Interoperability Group     a potion of Redmondian kool-aid
Sun Microsystems Inc.                   a cursed scroll of Windows 2000