[Sunhelp] depth and resolution on Ultra 5 with ATI Rage Pro!

Richi Plana richip at mozcom.com
Thu Aug 12 22:50:10 CDT 1999

Hi,

We have an Ultra 5 (them, ugh, IDE-based) workstation and it sports an ATI
Rage Pro! graphics accelerator. I have a couple of questions:

1) How does one change the resolution and depth of X Windows on Solaris
2.6?

2) The card doesn't "feel" like its accelerated. I believe the Rage
behaves passably with 2D accleration. Do I need to use certain drivers or
enable something in the kernel?

3) When running X applications on the machine using a Linux X server, the
colors come out all wrong. We can only get the proper colors if we use
24-bit depth on the Linux machine, but not all of our Linux workstations
support 24-bit. Is there a way to make these two systems (X client and
server) work properly with each other?

Thanks.

L   L Richi Plana 8^)         ,-,-.     ,-,-.     ,-,-.     ,-,-.     ,-
LL LL Systems Administrator  / / \ \   / / \ \   / / \ \   / / \ \   / /
LLLLL Mosaic Communications, Inc. \ \ / /   \ \ / /   \ \ / /   \ \ / /
LLLLL mailto:richip at mozcom.com     `-'-'     `-'-'     `-'-'     `-'-'