[SunHELP] Instasll DiskSuite 4.1

Big Endian sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 31 18:18:53 CST 1969

>Hi Frank-Christian Kruegel-san ,
>
>Thank you for your advice.
>
>>RAID5 in software is slow. If speed matters, better use hardware
>>RAID if money
>>permits or RAID10 (striping and mirroring, gives you less capacity).
>
>If you know, couldn't you please tell me the following.
>
>Is write/read performance of RAID5 in software lower than using hard
>disk singly ?
>I need the performance of Soft-RAID as same as single hard disk.
>Purpose of using DiskSuite is to construct the large volume disk by
>aggregation
>of low price disks.

If you don't have a hardware raid controller, yes it is much slower.
If you are just looking for aggregation check out some of the LVM
features of DiskSuite.  This will allow you more flexibility to add
more drives later.  Raid is used when you need performance (raid 0),
100% uptime (Raid 1), or a combination there of (these REALLY require
a dedicated controller for performance gains: raid 3,4,5).

>Has operaton of Software RAID using DiskSuite lain a burden on CPU ?
>Platform(EP250) is equipped with single CPU only.

Yes.  Raid requires some processing by the cpu (the higher the
raidlevel the more processing typically)  In raid 0 the only
processing done is the splitting of data into stripes.  In raid 5 it
must split data into stripes, take checksums of that data and then
split the checksums into stripes to be written to disk.  Reading is
the same process in reverse.

Daniel